Monday, February 23, 2009

Identity


If I'm trying to refer to a work of music you've heard and you're unaware of the work's title, then how do I go about it? Do I give a theoretical account of the work, citing the harmonically rich opening, the rapidly changing textures, and the key change to B-flat major in bar 70? No, not unless we're playing a trivia game. Rather, I provide you with an actual sound from the music. Do I voice a percussive timpani part from the final movement? No, I am much more likely to sing some notes for you. OK, then do I sing the part of the cello line that oscillates back and forth between B-flat and A for 30 seconds? Again, no. I am much more likely to sing something melodic. Further, I would choose what I deem to be the most distinctive and memorable melody from the entire work.

For this reason, while melody might not always be the most interesting aspect of a work of music, I would say it is usually the soul of the work, the aspect you associate with the work's identity. I believe this is a result of how our minds work.

Indeed, what would I do if I had to refer to a work of atonal serialism without being able to use the work's title? If I were to attempt to sing it aloud, it would make for one interesting scene. My only recourse would be to offer up some well-known piece of trivia related to the work. In my mind, then, I have represented the work not using melody or anything else musical but rather using words.

And indeed, what would I do if I had to refer to Beethoven's Ninth Symphony without using the work's title? Why, I would hum Ode to Joy, of course. And what beautiful, evocative music Beethoven makes when he takes that melody and lets us hear it in different contexts, on different instruments.

No comments: