Thursday, July 22, 2010

Reboot

During November of last year, I began posting lists of essential works by some of the more prominent composers. The works I chose were those that appeared at least half the time in the references I consulted; they do not reflect a personal bias (except in the collection of references I chose to consult). In this way, I tried to filter out the "championing" of certain works by different publications while retaining those works which by consensus are important and notable.

I thought these lists would be useful to someone who is approaching certain composers for the first time. As for the accompanying images, I carefully selected ones I felt projected something of the musical essences of the composers they represent here.

In the weeks ahead, I'll continue on posting essential works for several more composers. After this, CMB will return to a style closer to that found in the posts from January through March of 2009.

No comments: